Monday, July 30, 2007

You can roll a Rollyo to your pal...


Thing 12



I think this is quite the interesting concept, this Rollyo business. Interesting, yes, but necessary? As time marches on and I get closer to completing the 23 Things I have
to wonder if I have latent Luddite tendencies (as opposed to this person). Learning how to judge the accuracy of a website is something that was beaten into me during my years in school, and so I'm at determining if a website is worth anything or not. After doing a Google search, I find it pretty easy to quickly scan through the hits and to decide which sites are going to help me. I also feel that by limiting the websites I use in my search I might miss out on something valuable that could turn up by accident. Like a shark picture. Or like a shark and kayak picture. It's Shark Week on the Discovery channel. Check out this video, if you dare. It's not for the faint of heart.

A note about what I actually experienced on Rollyo: I didn't take the time to list too many websites in my own Searchroll, I began making a searchroll for music (none too original, really, but I was mentally stymied at the time) and found myself returning to Google to get ideas for websites that I'd want to include on my own Roll. Then I thought, if I'm seeking out the sites from Google, maybe I could just continue to do my searches from there. So I tried a search or two on Rollyo, just to see, and got many results that didn't come from my Searchroll. What the H? I wondered.

I just completed a successful Rollyo search, and now I finally see how this just might come in handy. I did a search for an artist I like, from my own customized search engine, and got the results I was looking for. So it can make sense to use something like this, but what about all that other information that's online that you just stumble across when searching for something. I may use the occassional Rollyo search, but I think that typically, I'll stick with the more traditional ways of searching.

1 comment:

yellowsubmarine said...

I am truly chuckled by all this - great job!!